Basis of Building Design
The following are programmatic and design parameters as approved by City Council on February 26, 2020:
- Create a civic and welcoming presence for the City of South San Francisco at the northeast corner of Chestnut Avenue and El Camino Real.
- Showcase the Library and Parks & Recreation including Community Theater / Council Chamber building along El Camino Real with a building size of approximately 80,000 square feet.
- Provide site improvements for public use such as outdoor fitness programs, informal seating areas, cycling along Centennial trail, and enjoying the trees and landscape.
- Build the space needed to provide all Parks & Recreation services, so they can relocate from the seismically unsafe Municipal Services Building.
- Build the space needed for the new Community Theater / Council Chamber to relocate from the seismically unsafe Municipal Services Building.
- Build the space needed for the Library, so they can relocate from Orange Avenue and expand their existing services.
- Provide approximately 20 structured and 200 surface parking spaces.
- Build the approximately 43,000 square feet needed to provide all Police Department and public safety services to relocate from the seismically unsafe Municipal Services Building. Elements in the program include:
- 911 Emergency Center
- Administrative Support Services and Records
- Property & Evidence
- Physical Training
- Classroom Space
- Firing Range
- Design the approximately 8,800 square feet Fire Station with the other projects, however it will be built in a future phase when the Municipal Services Building (MSB) site is sold to a developer/interested party. Timing of this is to be determined. Elements in the program include:
- Three apparatus bays
- Living and dining areas
- Sleeping quarters
Building Image and Site Design
The building design will reflect the values of the South San Francisco community including a welcoming civic presence, accessibility for all, intergenerational, and a fun and exciting place for the whole family.
- The massing of the building will create openings so that pedestrians can access the site amenities from El Camino Real.
- The main building will be three stories with structured parking.
- The building façade along El Camino Real will highlight the building's interior functions, engaging people passing by and encouraging them to visit the site, while the façade opening onto the Campus site will maximize opportunities to see the surroundings and views to the northeast.
- Open Space will provide areas for gathering, informal seating, and cycling along Centennial Trail.
- An iconic Community Theater / Council Chamber will be integrated with the main building and become the building design center piece.
The cost estimate of the project is $210,800,000.
Summary of the Base Project Breakdown
- Preconstruction Costs ($34M)
- Phase I: Police Department ($56.8M)
- Phase II: Library and Parks & Recreation ($120M)
- Campus Site
- Community Theater / Council Chamber
- Phase III: Fire Station (in Q2, 2019 dollars): $15,000,000
Preliminary Funding Plan
(funding plan as identified on Oct 29, 2018)
- Measure W Revenue Collected $71.4M
- Measure W Bond Proceeds $115.0M
- Asset Seizure $2.2M
- PEG $1.0M
- City Public Safety Impact Fee $1.0M
- City Library Developer Contributions/Project Read $0.7M
- Infrastructure Reserves $2.5M
Additional funds in the form of grants, donations, and other sources will be identified to fill the remaining funding gap. The funding plan will be finalized before award of a construction contract for the Phase II: Library / Parks & Recreation Project.
Note: In addition to the funding identified above, Measure W revenues will also pay for Bond Proceeds, including interest, cost of issuance, underwriter’s discount, insurance and surety policy premium, equaling approximately $167M.